Soward and Miss E. L. C. Beare married in 1878. Her father was W. L. Beare who in 1836 arrived at Kangaroo Island on the "Duke of York". His sister Lucy was the first colonist to set foot on South Australian soil.
Two storey, 17 rooms, random rubble sandstone, a gabled roof, a return verandah with a skillion roof supported by squared timber stanchions, rectangular openings with stucco surrounds, decorative upper verandah balustrades (not original), and shutters on the western facade. Above the front door is the Beare family crest.