Mr Beck leased his bake-house from 1870 to 1878 to Mr R. L. Massey, whose shop was across the road at 71 Moseley Street. John Dowie, a notable sculptor and painter, painted a frieze of monkeys over the cavity in the bake-house. In the 1880s, Mrs Beck enlarged the original three-roomed cottage in front of the bakery into this larger house.
1862 - South Glenelg Bakery
The bake-house erected for Mr Sebastian Beck in 1862 is located at the rear of this house.